Sunday, December 28, 2008

When in the Hoosier State, Do as the Hoosiers Do.

(July 10, 2006)

So, I'm laying on Steve's futon, ready to sleep, and I keep hearing this buzzing. It's this tiny unidentified green bug that can't stop, won't stop body-slamming the wall. I've chosen not to kill it because that's not very zen. Also, I'm not tall enough to reach it. I started sighing loudly and giving it meaningful looks that say, "Fine, if you don't care about your exoskeleton, neither do I" (our relationship is kind of passive-agressive), but it seems bent on self-destruction (I should note that technique has never worked with my students, either). It could be worse. I could be on a plane packed with uncontrolled venomous snakes. Or, I could be the person responsible for allowing Snakes on a Plane to be created.

Fine. I'm awake. Here's a blog.

I'm in Indiana for the ridiculously over-the-top Fourth of July party hosted annually by Steve's neighbors. Now I know why the wealthy deserve all those tax breaks: they really do love America more than the wage slaves. And what better way to display your patriotism than with pyrotechnics? I now know what $50,000 worth of fireworks looks like. Awesome.

Aside from the fireworks, guests were treated to two outdoor bars with free drinks and bartenders we weren't allowed to tip, a giant buffet, big inflatable stuff (like slides, a jousting ring, and a bounce house), and a cover band with a badass horn section.

This was an all-day event, but things really started on Friday.

We rolled in Friday night to a houseful of rowdy Christadelphians acting like derelicts. Everything was fine until Meg went missing. Forty-five minutes later, sobered and freaked out, Ashley, Paul and I find Meg, running toward us through the backyard, covered in mud and soaking wet. Kind of like Swamp Thing, but more disoriented. I asked what happened to her. She said, "I don't know. I went swimming, and then I was in a forest, and then I heard all these horses and I took my shoes off and just started running."

And, after all this, the Christos got up Sunday morning and went to church.

These Hoosiers sure know how to party.

No comments:

Post a Comment