Sunday, December 28, 2008

The Tailor of Morgantown.

(March 15, 2007)

If, like me, you're under 5'8" and happen to live in Morgantown, I have some wisdom to pass along to you.

Start drinking more milk and hope to grow, because the tailoring scene here is not so awesome. I went to what I'm pretty sure is the only tailor in the immediate vicinity this morning. Actually -- just to make sure Sam gets offended -- I would say it's safe to assume this is the only tailor in all of West Virginia. As such, it seems the tailors there are taking advantage of the novelty, and have formed some kind of tailors' union, whereby they don't have to tailor anything they don't want to tailor -- even though the act of tailoring is implied rather directly in their job title.

I should have just left when the tailor looked at the jacket and asked, "Is that a jacket?" but this jacket needed a fair amount of work -- shorter sleeves, and a smaller waist. So, instead, I just nodded, yes, this is a jacket.

So, my sleeves got pinned, but the tailor has refused to alter the waist (apparently they can do that, now -- like conscientious fashion objectors) because, "it's a jacket". And then I gave up, because I can't argue with that kind of cold, hard logic. So, if you see me wearing a teal jacket with perfectly-fitted sleeves and a potato sack waist, just try to imagine the possibilities, please. It could have been a nice jacket -- even though it's a jacket.

No comments:

Post a Comment