Sunday, December 28, 2008

Friday the 13th

(October 13, 2006)

This morning when I woke up, I could see my breath. In my apartment. I turned my heat on. I hope we don't have another one of those mid-October incidents where it gets all cold and then the frost knocks a bunch of trees down over power lines and then we lose power for a few days and I end up trudging across town with a bunch of frozen meat because it's too depressing to have to throw it all away.*


* Censored excerpt from sincere mass email from Meg, 27 Oct. 2005:

Oh hi,

So things got weird in Morgantown on Monday and it snowed like a mother. And all the trees were like, "Whoa, we still have all our leaves and our sap in liquid form therefore making us really, really heavy and totally not ready for snow." So needless to say a bunch of trees fell down on power lines and people lost electricity. Which leads me to a story about how I'm psychic and me and Sarah carried 15 pounds of frozen meat across town.

... So many a people lost electricity when we had that storm, including little Nader. So obviously we went to her home, drank the rest of her orange juice and vodka in a Poverty Screwdriver, packed up her valuables and Anne Franked it to my home. At the beginning of our trek, we lightheartedly referred to it as the Chickenwalk, but it slowly morphed into a ChickenTrudge because we stopped talking to each other in favor of thinking about how much weight we were carrying and how far we were from my house. I started seeing mirages of white Ford Festivas slowing down to pick us up. Then we got to my house and ate Funfetti cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment