Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Prince George's County is an oxymoron.

I heard sirens all day today, so it was no surprise to get stopped at a red light behind an EMS truck -- until I actually looked at it.

I don't want to live (here) anymore.


Keepin' it safe. My mind reeled. So many thoughts. So many questions.

1. This is why your schools are failing.
2. This blatantly faux-casual colloquialism offends me.
3. What is it? Is it the same it we talk about when we keep it real? Because it can't be Prince George's County (Gorgeous Prince George’s has accounted for 45.1% of murders in the state of Maryland since 1985).
4. I propose an edit: Mostly keepin' it safe for everyone but Cheye Calvo, Cheye Calvo's wife, Cheye Calvo's mother-in-law, and Cheye Calvo's two dogs.
5. I wonder how many people have been pried out of danger with the jaws of life, only to reach the EMS truck and say, "Put me back in."

And, finally: How did this come from this?



Safely oblivious.

Sometimes (like when I fantasize about working in Montgomery County) I have to remind myself that, on paper, we're all the same.



3 comments:

  1. Nice, couldn't agree more. I thought something similar on Monday, as one of those PG County Medic units nearly rip the suspension off by going over a speed bump at my softball field waaaayyy to fast. Too funny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hm... I didn't know you dreamt about working in MoCo. If so, I feel you would prefer the--what I refer to as--soulless dead zones (i.e. Potomac). Steer clear of Springbrook (my alma mater) since it has tons of Prince George's County Public School tendencies. There was a stabbing while I was there (I actually witnessed it) and the police recently foiled a plot to kill the principal. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete