Sunday, February 8, 2009

Words are all we have.

I got this tattoo of a lotus flower last October but, now that I'm feeling like myself again, I've been thinking I'd like something a tad more pessimistic to balance it out. Also, I really want some words, and in retrospect, I can't believe I totally disregarded my love of words when I got my lotus tattoo.

A few weeks ago, I thought I'd like something on my other flank. Either: "Words are all we have", or "Quintessence of dust".

The latter is ruined because it kind of rhymes with Evanescence, and if I ever get naked in front of someone who doesn't love Samuel Beckett as much as I love Samuel Beckett, the former will become a constant reminder of our incompatibility.

So, then I was thinking I might like: "They want to know which tools. They never ask why build".

But, I don't really want two tattoos so much as I want to be able to redo the first one; so, I'm thinking I should add onto the first one. I thought "Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt" would be a good add-on for the lotus, until I remembered what tattooing feels like. Now I'm considering "A supposedly fun thing I'll never do again".

5 comments:

  1. The right word may be effective, but no word was ever as effective as a rightly timed pause.

    When words are scarce they are seldom spent in vain.

    One great use of words is to hide our thoughts.

    Words have no power to impress the mind without the exquisite horror of their reality.

    Words are alive; cut them and they bleed.

    Good words are worth much and cost little.

    What is required is not a lot words, but effectual ones.

    Proper words in proper places, make the true definition of style.

    Why and how are words so important that they cannot be too often used.

    Words are things, and a small drop if ink, Falling like dew upon a thought, produces That which makes thousands, perhaps millions, think.


    Given that most of those are a bit long for a tattoo, you might also consider Ralph Wiggum's statement of truth, "Me fail English? That's unpossible." You might also consider a portrait of Noah Webster emerging from the lotus. That's just my two cents worth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Speaking of Ralph Wiggum, I support "Go banana!", but somewhere more intimate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Worst. Idea. Ever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No, that would be this nugget from Comic Book Guy:

    "Oh, loneliness and cheeseburgers are a dangerous mix."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Personally, I think you should get the "Shhhh" tattoo that my heroes Lily Allen and Lindsay Lohan got tattooed on their pointer fingers recently whilst high on coke. It has so much meaning. AND, according to Lindsay, it's a female empowerment thing which I know you love.

    ReplyDelete